Movistar Yamaha’s Valentino Rossi has secured his first win of the season at the Circuit of Jerez, pulling over a two second lead over his team-mate Jorge Lorenzo in second.
Starting the race from pole position in front of an 140,000 strong crowd, Rossi got a strong start off the line and never looked back leading the pack into turn one.
Lorenzo was never far behind Rossi and was able to make his move in the opening laps, however he was unable to make it stick as Rossi got straight back past the reigning world champion and was never challenged again.
Marc Marquez had the pace to stay with the leaders in the opening laps, however the Repsol Honda rider soon dropped off the pace and crossed the line seven seconds behind the leaders. The Spaniard struggled with a combination of his front tyre and riding style, but his mature nature allowed him to slow down and take the points rather than crashing out of the race.
Ducati’s Andrea Dovizoso’s bad luck continued as what looked like a problem with his rear tyre put him out of the race with 18 laps remaining. This makes it the third non-score for the Italian, despite his stronger pace with the GP16.
Involved in what was the only battle of the race for fifth position, Aleix Espargaro finished ahead of his Suzuki Ecstar team-mate Maverick Vinales in front of their home crowd. However it was Eugene Laverty who stole the limelight and secured another top ten finish aboard his Aspar Ducati, finishing in ninth position.
It was a tough race for the Brits as Cal Crutchlow got the best result in 11th position, ahead of Bradley Smith in 12th, as Redding was unable to get a point in 19th position.
1. Valentino Rossi ITA Movistar Yamaha MotoGP (YZR-M1) 45m 28.834s
2. Jorge Lorenzo ESP Movistar Yamaha MotoGP (YZR-M1) 45m 31.220s
3. Marc Marquez ESP Repsol Honda Team (RC213V) 45m 35.921s
4. Dani Pedrosa ESP Repsol Honda Team (RC213V) 45m 39.185s
5. Aleix Espargaro ESP Team Suzuki Ecstar (GSX-RR) 45m 42.977s
6. Maverick Viñales ESP Team Suzuki Ecstar (GSX-RR) 45m 45.606s
7. Andrea Iannone ITA Ducati Team (Desmosedici GP) 45m 55.111s
8. Pol Espargaro ESP Monster Yamaha Tech 3 (YZR-M1) 45m 59.584s
9. Eugene Laverty IRL Aspar MotoGP Team (Desmosedici GP14.2) 46m 1.159s
10. Hector Barbera ESP Avintia Racing (Desmosedici GP14.2) 46m 1.458s
11. Cal Crutchlow GBR LCR Honda (RC213V) 46m 7.331s
12. Bradley Smith GBR Monster Yamaha Tech 3 (YZR-M1) 46m 8.503s
13. Loris Baz FRA Avintia Racing (Desmosedici GP14.2) 46m 14.061s
14. Stefan Bradl GER Factory Aprilia Gresini (RS-GP) 46m 16.720s
15. Yonny Hernandez COL Aspar MotoGP Team (Desmosedici GP14.2) 46m 16.822s
16. Michele Pirro ITA Octo Pramac Yakhnich (Desmosedici GP15) 46m 18.248s
17. Jack Miller AUS Estrella Galicia 0,0 Marc VDS (RC213V) 46m 18.347s
18. Tito Rabat ESP Estrella Galicia 0,0 Marc VDS (RC213V)* 46m 22.168s
19. Scott Redding GBR Octo Pramac Yakhnich (Desmosedici GP15) 46m 34.389s
Andrea Dovizioso ITA Ducati Team (Desmosedici GP) DNF
Alvaro Bautista ESP Factory Aprilia Gresini (RS-GP) DNF