Marc Marquez continues to show the rest of the riders the way round the Circuit of the Americas in Texas as he set a blistering lap time in qualifying. The Repsol Honda rider eclipsed all his rivals with a lap time of 2’03.188 in Q2 which just couldn’t be matched.
Initially it did look like Jorge Lorenzo may get the better of his countryman, setting the pace with a 2’03.613 before Marquez pulled the pin and nudged his way to the front. Lorenzo continued to push and it did look like he may pip the Honda but he eventually missed out by a whisker finishing just 0.069 behind the pole sitter.
In third place came the second of the Movistar Yamaha riders, Valentino Rossi. The Italian charged to within half a second of the fastest time and he was followed in fourth place by Andrea Iannone. The factory Ducati rider posted a 2’03.913 and he was the only other rider to get under 2’04 throughout qualifying.
Maverick Viñales on the Team Suzuki Ecstar pipped Cal Crutchlow to fifth place, with just 0.02seconds separating the pair of them.
The other factory riders dominated the top ten with Andrea Dovizioso, Dani Pedrosa and Aleix Espargaro taking positions seven to nine, Espargaro had earlier made his way through from Q1 with Bradley Smith who qualified in 11th place and sandwiched in-between those two was Scott Redding’s OCTO Pramac Yakhnich Ducati.
Disappointingly Jack Miller did not take his place for qualifying due to a broken fifth metatarsal in his right foot which he picked up after his fall in free practice yesterday, so he will sit out tomorrow’s race.
TOP 10 Qualifiers.
- Marc MARQUEZ SPA Repsol Honda Team Honda 2’03.188
- Jorge LORENZO SPA Movistar Yamaha MotoGP Yamaha 2’03.257
- Valentino ROSSI ITA Movistar Yamaha MotoGP Yamaha 2’03.644
- Andrea IANNONE ITA Ducati Team Ducati 2’03.913
- Maverick VIÑALES SPA Team SUZUKI ECSTAR Suzuki 2’04.247
- Cal CRUTCHLOW GBR LCR Honda Honda 2’04.265
- Andrea DOVIZIOSO ITA Ducati Team Ducati 2’04.339
- Dani PEDROSA SPA Repsol Honda Team Honda 2’04.379
- Aleix ESPARGARO SPA Team SUZUKI ECSTAR Suzuki 2’04.408
- Scott REDDING GBR OCTO Pramac Yakhnich Ducati 2’04.485