JG Speedfit Kawasaki’s Leon Haslam made a solid return to MCE British Superbikes securing pole position at Silverstone for race one, ahead of Jason O’Halloran and Christian Iddon.
In a new qualifying format for 2016, the top 30 riders from free practise headed out for an 18 minutes Q1 session
Be Weiser Ducati’s Shane Byrne topped Q1 at Silverstone, as the new qualifying format hindered Kawasaki’s James Ellison who crashed out early on in the 18 minute session.
After leading the majority of the session, Luke Mossey finished close behind in second ahead of Michael Laverty who was able to jump into third after a late push. Glenn Irwin ended the session half a second off Byrne, and O’Halloran completed the top five.
Billy McConnell narrowly missed out on Q2 as James Rispoli was able to secure the final spot, lapping 2.107s off.
The top 18 Riders came out for qualifying two in tricky conditions for a 12 minute session, as this session determines the final nine riders who go through into Superpole.
Luke Mossey continued to dominate at the Northampton circuit, as he led at the half way point of the session, with Shane Byrne sitting at the bottom of the timing sheets.
This wasn’t the case for long however as he soon shot up into second with five minutes remaining.
The sun shone down on Silverstone as rain drops fell in sector three, leaving tough conditions for the riders to face. Mossey held onto the top spot as Byrne took second at the flag with Kiyonari narrowly missing out on a spot in Q3 with fastest man from Friday Iddon securing the final spot in ninth.
Heading out for the final stint of qualifying at Silverstone in an altered Q3 to the new format due to the weather conditions, it was a dash to the line to secure pole position.
Honda’s Dan Linfoot unable to take part in Q3 with technical problems, leaving it a battle for the top eight positions on the grid.
Haslam led the session early on ahead of Iddon, as Byrne was able to get up into third position mid-way through the session.
Despite dominating in the earlier sessions, Mossey didn’t manage to bring the fight for pole position and he will start tomorrows race from fifth on the grid.
The closing four minutes of the session didn’t provide too much drama, as Haslam set the fastest time once again and Byrne remained in fourth.
O’Halloran and Mossey entered the pits in the closing minutes with no real competition for the front row.
Byrne heads the front row ahead of Mossey and Laverty, as Hopkins secures seventh position infront of Rispoli and the unlucky Linfoot.
Full list of qualifying results here:
1. Leon Haslam GBR JG Speedfit Kawasaki ZX-10R 2m 05.501s
2. Jason O’Halloran AUS Honda Racing CBR1000RR 2m 05.562s
3. Christian Iddon GBR Tyco BMW S1000RR 2m 05.727s
4. Shane Byrne GBR Be Wiser Ducati Panigale R 2m 05.827s
5. Luke Mossey GBR Quattro Plant Kawasaki ZX-10R 2m 05.968s
6. Michael Laverty GBR Tyco BMW S1000RR 2m 06.102s
7. John Hopkins USA ePayMe Yamaha YZF-R1 2m 06.130s
8. James Rispoli USA Anvil Hire TAG Yamaha YZF-R1 2m 06.930s
9. Dan Linfoot GBR Honda Racing CBR1000RR No time
10. Ryuichi Kiyonari JPN Bennetts Suzuki GSX-R1000 2m 06.553s
11. Lee Jackson GBR Buildbase BMW S1000RR 2m 06.581s
12. Danny Buchan GBR Lloyds British Moto Rapido Ducati Panigale R 2m 06.620s
13. Tommy Bridewell GBR Bennetts Suzuki GSX-R1000 2m 06.644s
14. Jakub Smrz CZE Smiths Racing BMW S1000RR 2m 06.734s
15. Richard Cooper GBR Buildbase BMW S1000RR 2m 06.842s
16. Peter Hickman GBR JG Speedfit Kawasaki ZX-10R 2m 06.924s
17. Glenn Irwin GBR Be Wiser Ducati Panigale R 2m 07.218s
18. Alastair Seeley GBR Royal Air Force BMW S1000RR 2m 07.276s
19. Billy McConnell AUS FS-3 Racing Kawasaki ZX-10R 2m 09.039s
20. Martin Jessopp GBR Riders Motorcycles BMW S1000RR 2m 09.073s
21. Jack Kennedy IRE Team WD-40 Kawasaki ZX-10R 2m 09.164s
22. Howie Mainwaring Smart GBR Smiths Racing BMW S1000RRR 2m 09.657s
23. Sam Hornsey GBR Team WD-40 Kawasaki ZX-10R 2m 09.859s
24. Shaun Winfield GBR Anvil Hire TAG Yamaha YZF-R1 2m 09.902s
25. Jenny Tinmouth GBR Honda Racing CBR1000RR 2m 09.975s
26. Michael Dunlop GBR Buildbase BMW S1000RR 2m 10.411s
27. Aaron Zanotti GBR Platform Hire Yamaha YZF-R1 2m 10.492s
28. Stuart Easton GBR ePayMe Yamaha YZF-R1 2m 10.743s
29. Vittorio Iannuzzo ITA Gearlink Kawasaki ZX-10R 2m 11.385s
30. James Ellison GBR JG Speedfit Kawasaki ZX-10R 2m 13.097s