Following his timesheet topping performance in FP1, Repsol Honda’s Marc Marquez once again dominated proceedings in Austin, Texas in the second free practice session.
The Spaniard ripped round the Circuit of the Americas and was within a whisker of breaking the 2’04 barrier to finish ahead of the rest of the pack by some distance. Unlike the first practice session he wasn’t followed home by Jorge Lorenzo as the Movistar Yamaha rider could only muster a time quick enough for fifth spot as the Chequered Flag came out. In second place was Andrea Iannone who is looking very strong so far this weekend, the factory Ducati was the fastest bike through the speed trap at almost 342kph but the lap time set by the #29 was 0.7seconds slower than that of Marquez.
In third place came Maverick Viñales who continues to put his Team Suzuki Ecstar in the thick of the battle, with a lap time just 0.1secs behind that of Iannone. There was a second Ducati in the top four much like in FP1 but this time it wasn’t Hector Barbera as Scott Redding impressed with a lap of 2’04.899, almost two seconds quicker than he managed in the first session of the day.
Valentino Rossi ended in 6th place just behind his team-mate, the Italian had been quickest early in the second practice session before Marquez pulled the pin as he ducked under the 2’05 barrier, one of just six riders to have done that so far.
Avintia Racing featured in the top ten again for the second successive session, this time Loris Baz was the man flying the flag for the Satellite Ducati squad. The top ten was rounded out by Dani Pedrosa, Andrea Dovizioso and Cal Crutchlow.
Eugene Laverty improved his time as he ended proceedings one place higher than he did in FP1 in 16th spot, but his session ended with a bump as he slid off his Aspar Ducati at Turn 2 but thankfully he was seen walking from the scene of the crash without any signs of injury.
Further down the order came Bradley Smith who seems to be struggling with his Monster Tech 3 Yamaha, the Brit only managing to finish in 19th position.
Top 10 from FP2
- Marc MARQUEZ SPA Repsol Honda Team Honda 2’04.034
- Andrea IANNONE ITA Ducati Team Ducati 341.9 2’04.740
- Maverick VIÑALES SPA Team SUZUKI ECSTAR Suzuki 337.7 2’04.895
- Scott REDDING GBR OCTO Pramac Yakhnich Ducati 342.2 2’04.899
- Jorge LORENZO SPA Movistar Yamaha MotoGP Yamaha 337.0 2’04.901
- Valentino ROSSI ITA Movistar Yamaha MotoGP Yamaha 339.9 2’04.974
- Loris BAZ FRA Avintia Racing Ducati 336.9 2’05.190
- Dani PEDROSA SPA Repsol Honda Team Honda 341.7 2’05.194
- Andrea DOVIZIOSO ITA Ducati Team Ducati 341.7 2’05.195
- Cal CRUTCHLOW GBR LCR Honda Honda 336.9 2’05.393