Marc Marquez picked up where he left off last season in Texas as he recorded the fastest lap in Free Practice 1 at the Circuit of the Americas.
After a winning ride last weekend in Argentina the Repsol Honda rider continued his red hot pace with a stunning lap of 2’04.953, he was to be the only rider out there able to get under 2’05 on the opening day. The number 93 machine was also sporting some new winglets on the final run which took him to the head of the timesheets.
In second place was Jorge Lorenzo who is looking to get back to his usual slick self on track after his fall last weekend. The Movistar Yamaha rider was the only person who could stay on the coat-tails of his countryman, but even the reigning World Champion was almost 0.3secs behind the Marquez.
Third place went to another rider looking to get back on track was Ducati’s Andrea Iannone, the Italian came in 0.3secs behind Lorenzo but arguably the 4th place man Hector Barbera was the one ruffling feathers more than most just one of three riders to be within a second of Marquez. The Avintia Racing Ducati crossed the line ahead of the factory Ducati of Andrea Dovizioso, who was over a second behind the leader.
Further down the field the Brits came in 6th, 13th and 16th, Scott Redding led the way just ahead of Valentino Rossi who came in 7th. Cal Crutchlow on his LCR Honda was the next Brit with Bradley Smith’s Monster Tech 3 Yamaha just ahead of Eugene Laverty in 17th place.
We’ll have the report from FP2 here later tonight on Paddock Chatter.
Top 10 FP1.
- 93 Marc MARQUEZ SPA Repsol Honda Team Honda 2’04.953
- Jorge LORENZO SPA Movistar Yamaha MotoGP Yamaha 2’05.208
- Andrea IANNONE ITA Ducati Team Ducati 2’05.570
- Hector BARBERA SPA Avintia Racing Ducati 2’05.682
- Andrea DOVIZIOSO ITA Ducati Team Ducati 2’06.032
- Scott REDDING GBR OCTO Pramac Yakhnich Ducati 2’06.224
- Valentino ROSSI ITA Movistar Yamaha MotoGP Yamaha 2’06.252
- Yonny HERNANDEZ COL Aspar Team MotoGP Ducati 2’06.264
- Maverick VIÑALES SPA Team SUZUKI ECSTAR Suzuki 2’06.367
- Dani PEDROSA SPA Repsol Honda Team Honda 2’06.450