Tyco BMW’s Christian Iddon leads the way at the end of the opening day of the 2016 season at Silverstone as the day was littered with disruptions.
Free practice one was delayed this morning in Northampton following an oil spill at turn six, but once the session got underway damp conditions hampered riders and the session didn’t allow riders to make the most of the 40 minute session.
Kuba Smrz was able to take first blood in FP1 aboard the Smiths Racing BMW, 0.809s ahead of Hopkins in second position as Byrne, Ellison and Iddon completed the top five, as a technical red flag forced the session to finish early.
As the track had dried out in time for free practice two this afternoon riders were keen to get some information under their belts ahead of qualifying tomorrow, and Ryuichi Kiyonari held first position with 25 minutes left on the clock, but it didn’t take Byrne to snatch P1 by 0.043s on his PBM Ducati.
Luke Mossey became the first rider to set a lap time in the 2.07 bracket but in the closing minutes times dropped down into the 2.06’s and Iddon stole top spot with a time of 2.06.617.
Mossey was able to keep his strong times up and took second position, narrowly missing out on first ahead of ePayMe Yamaha’s John Hopkins in third. Just one second covered the top six at Silverstone as times dropped in the second session with improved track conditions, despite the threat of rain looming over the shortened session.
Byrne had a consistent day aboard his Be Wiser Panigale ahead of Jason O’Halloran aboard the Honda in fifth.
Full list of FP2 results:
1. Christian Iddon GBR Tyco BMW S1000RR 2m 06.617s
2. Luke Mossey GBR Quattro Plant Kawasaki ZX-10R 2m 06.764s
3. John Hopkins USA ePayMe Yamaha YZF-R1 2m 07.231s
4. Shane Byrne GBR Be Wiser Ducati Panigale R 2m 07.287s
5. Jason O’Halloran AUS Honda Racing CBR1000RR 2m 07.322s
6. Jakub Smrz CZE Smiths Racing BMW S1000RR 2m 07.604s
7. Leon Haslam GBR JG Speedfit Kawasaki ZX-10R 2m 07.633s
8. Michael Laverty GBR Tyco BMW S1000RR 2m 07.691s
9. James Ellison GBR JG Speedfit Kawasaki ZX-10R 2m 07.877s
10. Martin Jessopp GBR Riders Motorcycles BMW S1000RR 2m 07.928s
11. Ryuichi Kiyonari JPN Bennetts Suzuki GSX-R1000 2m 08.122s
12. Peter Hickman GBR JG Speedfit Kawasaki ZX-10R 2m 08.122s
13. Tommy Bridewell GBR Bennetts Suzuki GSX-R1000 2m 08.139s
14. Richard Cooper GBR Buildbase BMW S1000RR 2m 08.201s
15. Lee Jackson GBR Buildbase BMW S1000RR 2m 08.367s
16. Danny Buchan GBR Lloyds British Moto Rapido Ducati Panigale R 2m 08.712s
17. Alastair Seeley GBR Royal Air Force BMW S1000RR 2m 08.744s
18. Glenn Irwin GBR Be Wiser Ducati Panigale R 2m 08.806s
19. Howie Mainwaring Smart GBR Smiths Racing BMW S1000RRR 2m 09.142s
20. Stuart Easton GBR ePayMe Yamaha YZF-R1 2m 09.402s
21. Shaun Winfield GBR Anvil Hire TAG Yamaha YZF-R1 2m 09.575s
22. James Rispoli USA Anvil Hire TAG Yamaha YZF-R1 2m 09.584s
23. Dan Linfoot GBR Honda Racing CBR1000RR 2m 09.621s
24. Billy McConnell AUS FS-3 Racing Kawasaki ZX-10R 2m 10.046s
25. Jack Kennedy IRE Team WD-40 Kawasaki ZX-10R 2m 10.494s
26. Jenny Tinmouth GBR Honda Racing CBR1000RR 2m 10.829s
27. Vittorio Iannuzzo ITA Gearlink Kawasaki ZX-10R 2m 11.372s
28. Sam Hornsey GBR Team WD-40 Kawasaki ZX-10R 2m 11.384s
29. Aaron Zanotti GBR Platform Hire Yamaha YZF-R1 2m 11.462s
30. Michael Dunlop GBR Buildbase BMW S1000RR 2m 11.869s