Aruba IT.Racing’s Chaz Davies secured a faultless win to make it his first victory of the season at the Spanish circuit of Aragon, as he held off Kawasaki Racing team duo of Jonathan Rea and Tom Sykes.
Sykes started on pole position after Superpole this morning ahead of Sylvain Guintoli and Alex Lowes aboard the Pata Yamaha machines, as Rea started from fifth.
Sykes got a strong start off the line as his team-mate wasn’t held off and Rea shot up into the top three behind Guintoli.
There was soon a battle forming for the final step on the podium with the Ducati’s of Davies and Giugliano chasing down Rea, but it was clear Davies was on a mission and didn’t want to be held up as be pulled a gap from the fight for third as he chased Sykes down.
With 15 laps to go the Welshman took the lead and never looked back, crossing the line 4.168s ahead of Rea to secure his status as the most successful WSBK rider at the Spanish circuit.
Despite a strong qualifying it was a tough end to the race for the Yamaha team-mates as they crossed the line just inside the top ten; Lowes in 8th and Guintoli in 9th.
Xavi Fores had a strong race finishing in fourth position, crossing the line as top Ducati and 12 seconds off the podium fighting positions.
Race one results:
1. Chaz Davies GBR Aruba.it Racing Ducati 1199R 18 laps
2. Jonathan Rea GBR Kawasaki Racing ZX-10R +4.168s
3. Tom Sykes GBR Kawasaki Racing ZX-10R +4.948s
4. Xavi Fores ESP Barni Ducati 1199R +12.723s
5. Davide Giugliano ITA Aruba.it Racing Ducati 1199R +13.151s
6. Nicky Hayden USA Honda Racing CBR1000RR +21.117s
7. Jordi Torres ESP Althea BMW S1000RR +22.112s
8. Alex Lowes GBR PATA Crescent Yamaha R1 +25.575s
9. Sylvain Guintoli FRA PATA Crescent Yamaha R1 +28.941s
10. Lorenzo Savadori ITA IodaRacing Aprilia RSV4 +34.956s
11. Alex de Angelis RSM IodaRacing Aprilia RSV4 +35.075s
12. Roman Ramos ESP GO Eleven Kawasaki ZX-10R +37.310s
13. Josh Brookes AUS Milwaukee BMW S1000RR +37.442s
14. Markus Reiterberger GER Althea BMW S1000RR +37.731s
15. Karel Abraham CZE Milwaukee BMW S1000RR +52.270s
16. Sylvain Barrier FRA Pedercini Kawasaki ZX-10R +56.295s
17. Matthieu Lussiana FRA Team ASPI BMW S1000RR +67.602s
18. Dominic Schmitter SUI Grillini Kawasaki ZX-10R +95.691s
19. Peter Sebesteyen HUN Team Toth Yamaha R1 +95.746s
20. Imre Toth HUN Team Toth Yamaha R1 +1 lap
21. Saeed al Sulaiti QAT Pedercini Kawasaki ZX-10R +2 laps
Matteo Baiocco ITA VFT Ducati 1199R 13 laps completed
Josh Hook AUS Grillini Kawasaki ZX-10R 13 laps completed
Leon Camier GBR MV Agusta RC F4 RR 8 laps completed
Michael van der Mark NED Honda Racing CBR1000RR 3 laps completed