Reigning Moto2 Champ Johann Zarco leads the way at the end of the first two free practice sessions ahead of the second race of the season in Argentina this weekend.
Fans at the Termas de Rio Hondo circuit were treated to a blistering lap from the Frenchman in FP2 as he improved his time from the first free practice by over half a second. Although the quickest time aren’t quite matching those set last year it doesn’t detract from the Ajo Motorsport rider taking the fight to his competitors as he looks to grab his first win of 2016.
Zarco’s time of 1’44.533 beat Idemitsu Honda Team Asia’s Takaaki Nakagami into second place on the timing screens, although the Japanese rider was only a whisker behind the Frenchman. Nakagami much like Zarco is looking to make his mark for the first time this season with an improved performance in South America after only steering his Kalex to 14th place in Qatar.
The Union Jack was being paraded for a terrific third fastest for Sam Lowes, his Federal Oil Gresini Moto2 brought him home with a lap time of 1’44.768 just 0.235secs behind Zarco. Lowes will still be feeling hard done by after his jump start penalty in the opening round of the season and this first session of the weekend will have gone a long way to helping him forget about that disappointment.
Danny Kent continues his development with his Leopard Racing Kalex as the reigning Moto3 champ ended the practice session in eighth spot, within half a second of Zarco’s best time with the winner from the opening round, Thomas Luthi, following Kent home in ninth.
- Johann ZARCO FRA Ajo Motorsport Kalex 1’44.533
- Takaaki NAKAGAMI JPN IDEMITSU Honda Team Asia Kalex 1’44.723
- Sam LOWES GBR Federal Oil Gresini Moto2 Kalex1’44.768
- Jonas FOLGER GER Dynavolt Intact GP Kalex 1’44.873
- Alex MARQUEZ SPA Estrella Galicia 0,0 Marc VDS Kalex 1’44.921
- Hafizh SYAHRIN MAL Petronas Raceline Malaysia Kalex 1’44.936
- Franco MORBIDELLI ITA Estrella Galicia 0,0 Marc VDS Kalex 1’45.003
- Danny KENT GBR Leopard Racing Kalex 1’45.010
- Thomas LUTHI SWI Garage Plus Interwetten Kalex 1’45.090
- Simone CORSI ITA Speed Up Racing Speed Up 1’45.125