Moto3 got qualifying underway at The Brickyard with yet more records set in the class at Indy.
Rins took pole as the riders to dipped under the 1m 48 threshold for the first time, closely followed by his Estrella Galicia team-mate Alex Marquez.
Third and final place on the all Spanish all KTM front row went to title hopeful Maverick Vinales for Team Calvo, as his main title rival Luis Salom crashed out, missing most of the session, ending up in tenth.
|Scott Redding ready for battle Photo: Marc VDS
Mahindra’s Efren Vazquez took fourth ahead of top Honda rider Jack Miller for Caretta Technology in fifth. Sixth went to Arthur Sissis, the best performing of the Red Bull KTM Ajo team.
Jonas Folger struggled down in seventh, matching his worst qualifying of the season ahead of the second Mahindra of Miguel Oliveia in eighth.
Zulfahmi Khairuddin scored his first top ten start of the year in ninth.
Brit John McPhee starts 30thaboard his Caretta Technology-RTG bike.
Danny Webb’s replacement at Ambrogio, jules Danilo, starts last.
Moto2 saw the scene set perfectly for a battle between title contenders Scott Redding and Pol Espargaro.
The Marc VDS man made his annoyance at Espargaro clear when the Spaniard attempted to follow him in the closing stages, which fired him up to set the pole time – one that although close Tuenti Hp 40’s Espargaro could not match.
They are joined on the all-Kalex front row by Italtrans rider Takaaki Nakagami in third spot on the grid.
Fourth went to Espargaro’s team-mate Tito Rabat. He is Joined on row two by top Speed Up rider and practice leader Simone Corsi in fifth and the fastest Suter user, Aspar’s Nico Terol in sixth.
Just behind him in a close session – just a second separated the entire top twenty – was his team-mate, Jordi Torres, winner in the last Moto2 race at the Sachsenring.
Eighth went to German Maptaq SAG Zelos rider Marcel Schrotter ahead of the second Italtrans machine piloted by Julian Simon.
An improving Sandro Cortese completes the top ten for Dynavolt Intact GP.
Brits Danny Kent (Tech3) and Kyle Smith (Blusens Avintia), who got a last minute reprive from his sponsorship issues, were 20th and 28th respectively.
Moto3 Indianapolis Top Ten Qualifying Result:
1.Alex Rins SPA Estrella Galicia 0,0 (KTM) 1m 47.392
2. Alex Marquez SPA Estrella Galicia 0,0 (KTM) 1m 47.686
3. Maverick Viñales SPA Team Calvo (KTM) 1m 47.869
4. Efren Vazquez SPA Mahindra Racing (Mahindra) 1m 47.905
5. Jack Miller AUS Caretta Technology – RTG (FTR Honda) 1m 47.928
6. Arthur Sissis AUS Red Bull KTM Ajo (KTM) 1m 48.095
7. Jonas Folger GER Mapfre Aspar Team Moto3 (Kalex KTM) 1m 48.149
8. Miguel Oliveira POR Mahindra Racing (Mahindra) 1m 48.217
9. Zulfahmi Khairuddin MAL Red Bull KTM Ajo (KTM) 1m 48.224
10. Luis Salom SPA Red Bull KTM Ajo (KTM) 1m 48.376
Moto2 Indianapolis Top Ten Qualifying Result:
1.Scott Redding GBR Marc VDS Racing Team (Kalex) 1m 43.026
2. Pol Espargaro SPA Tuenti HP 40 (Kalex) 1m 43.053
3. Takaaki Nakagami JPN Italtrans Racing Team (Kalex) 1m 43.175
4. Esteve Rabat SPA Tuenti HP 40 (Kalex) 1m 43.291
5. Simone Corsi ITA NGM Mobile Racing (Speed Up) 1m 43.296
6. Nicolas Terol SPA Aspar Team Moto2 (Suter) 1m 43.307
7. Jordi Torres SPA Aspar Team Moto2 (Suter) 1m 43.349
8. Marcel Schrotter GER Maptaq SAG Zelos Team (Kalex) 1m 43.466
9. Julian Simon SPA Italtrans Racing Team (Kalex) 1m 43.503
10. Sandro Cortese GER Dynavolt Intact GP (Kalex) 1m 43.564