|Redding scored his first ever GP pole
Photo: MarcVDS Racing
Alex Rins dominates in Moto3 and Scott Redding snatches his first career pole in Moto2.
Moto3 kicked off the qualfying action at the Circuit of the Americas and Estrella Galicia rider Alex Rins took control of the session, slowly whittling down his time to take the second pole of his career. He is joined on the front row by the same riders who featured on the podium on Qatar. Nearest rival was fellow countryman Red Bull KTM rider Luis Salom and third was filled by another Spaniard Team Calvo’s Maverick Vinales, making for an all KTM front row.
Fastest of the Honda riders was Caretta Technology rider Jack Miller in fourth. Joining him on the second row is Aspar’s Jonas Folger and Alex Marquez, younger brother to Marc and team-mate to Rins.
Danny Webb impressed on his Suter Honda and scored an eighth place start for Ambrogio Racing. Fellow Brit John McPhee struggled after having his bike wrecked in his crash with Alexis Masbou in Qatar and qualified 28th.
After a massive wait as MotoGP qualified at COTA it was time for the ever close Moto2 class to duke it out for the top spot.
A last gasp effort by Scott Redding saw him score the first pole of his career and the first for his team, Marc VDS. The effort ousted Takaaki Nakagami from the pole spot for the second race in a row. In Qatar the Japanese Italtrans rider lost out to Pol Espargaro at the death.
Third was filled by the first Suter to hit the timesheets, the Aspar of Nico Terol who took his first front row in Moto2 with his best qualifying since moving up into the class. Tito Rabat was fourth and well ahead of his Tuenti HP 40 team-mate Pol Espargaro who made the best of a frustrating session to push to seventh late on.
British riders Kyle Smith and Danny Kent had their best Moto2 qualifying session to date with Kent starting from 13th for Tech3 and Smith 19th for the Italtrans outfit.
Moto3 Austin Qualifying Top Ten:
1.Alex Rins SPA Estrella Galicia 0,0 (KTM) 2m 16.396
2. Luis Salom SPA Red Bull KTM Ajo (KTM) 2m 16.879
3. Maverick Viñales SPA Team Calvo (KTM) 2m 17.100
4. Jack Miller AUS Caretta Technology – RTG (FTR Honda) 2m 18.303
5. Jonas Folger GER Mapfre Aspar Team Moto3 (Kalex KTM) 2m 18.570
6. Alex Marquez SPA Estrella Galicia 0,0 (KTM) 2m 18.595
7. Niklas Ajo FIN Avant Tecno (KTM) 2m 18.618
8. Danny Webb GBR Ambrogio Racing (Suter Honda) 2m 18.899
9. Alexis Masbou FRA Ongetta-Rivacold (FTR Honda) 2m 18.906
10. Arthur Sissis AUS Red Bull KTM Ajo (KTM) 2m 18.951
Moto2 Austin Qualifying Top Ten:
1. Scott Redding GBR Marc VDS Racing Team (Kalex) 2m 10.577
2. Takaaki Nakagami JPN Italtrans Racing Team (Kalex) 2m 11.266
3. Nicolas Terol SPA Mapfre Aspar Team Moto2 (Suter) 2m 11.287
4. Esteve Rabat SPA Tuenti HP 40 (Kalex)2m 11.383
5. Dominique Aegerter SWI Technomag carXpert (Suter) 2m 11.606
6. Simone CorsiITA NGM Mobile Racing (Speed Up) 2m 11.725
7. Pol Espargaro SPA Tuenti HP 40 (Kalex) 2m 11.838
8. Xavier Simeon BEL Desguaces La Torre (Kalex) 2m 11.859
9. Mika Kallio FIN Marc VDS Racing Team (Kalex) 2m 11.925
10. Julian Simon SPA Italtrans Racing Team (Kalex) 2m 12.001