Pol Espargaro SPA Tuenti HP 40 (Pons Kalex) 2m 0.882
2. Takaaki Nakagami JPN Italtrans Racing Team (Kalex) 2m 1.014
3. Mika Kallio FIN Marc VDS Racing Team (Kalex) 2m 1.041
4. Scott Redding GBR Marc VDS Racing Team (Kalex) 2m 1.089
5. Dominique Aegerter Technomag carXpert (Suter) 2m 1.120
6. Julian Simon Italtrans Racing Team (Kalex) 2m 1.447
7. Nicolas Terol Mapfre Aspar Team Moto2 (Suter) 2m 1.454
8. Esteve Rabat Tuenti HP 40 (Pons Kalex) 2m 1.462
9. Marcel Schrotter Desguaces La Torre SAG (Kalex) 2m 1.541
10. Mike Di Meglio Jir Moto2 (MotoBI) 2m 1.573
11. Simone Corsi NGM Mobile Racing (Speed Up) 2m 1.619
12. Alex De Angelis NGM Mobile Forward Racing (Speed Up) 2m 1.647
13. Sandro Cortese Dynavolt Intact GP (Kalex) 2m 1.841
14. Johann Zarco Came Iodaracing Project (Suter) 2m 1.885
15. Anthony West QMMF (Speed Up) 2m 1.944
16. Jordi Torres Mapfre Aspar Team Moto2 (Suter) 2m 2.001
17. Xavier Simeon Desguaces La Torre Maptaq (Kalex) 2m 2.125
18. Ricard Cardus NGM Mobile Forward Racing (Speed Up) 2m 2.266
19. Ratthapark Wilairot Thai Honda PTT Gresini Moto2 (Suter) 2m 2.335
20. Toni Elias Blusens Avintia (Kalex) 2m 2.403
21. Axel Pons Tuenti HP 40 (Pons Kalex) 2m 2.432
22. Louis Rossi Tech 3 (Tech 3) 2m 2.607
23. Yuki Takahashi Honda Team Asia (Moriwaki) 2m 2.800
24. Randy Krummenacher Technomag carXpert (Suter) 2m 2.908
25. Mattia Pasini NGM Mobile Racing (Speed Up) 2m 3.006
26. Danny Kent Tech 3 (Tech 3) 2m 3.039
27. Doni Tata Pradita Federal Oil Gresini (Suter) 2m 4.177
28. Kyle Smith Blusens Avintia (Kalex) 2m 4.436
29. Steven Odendaal Argiñano & Gines Racing (Speed Up) 2m 4.657
30. Rafid Topan Sucipto QMMF (Speed Up) 2m 4.731
31. Alberto Moncayo SPA Argiñano & Gines Racing (Speed Up) 2m 4.873
32. Sergio Gadea Interwetten Paddock (Suter) 2m 5.869
The junior and middle classes of grand prix racing provided their expected tenseness and excitement as both Moto2 and Moto3’s qualifying sessions went down to the wire, with the dusty track seemingly not troubling either group of riders.
Hot on their heels of Moto3 were the Moto2 riders, where title favourite Pol Espargaro shocked by crashing after seven minutes and then snatched pole position in the final seconds of qualifying.
The Tuenti HP 40 rider and his mechanics impressed by getting the bike fixed speedily and approaching the session with the same force and confidence, stealing the pole from Takaaki Nakagami after the Italtrans rider had spent much of his time swapping places on the timing screen with Brit Scott Redding after recovering from an early issue with his bike. Redding would eventually lose out on the front row to his team-mate Mika Kallio, who put in a quick lap late on, the Gloucester rider having to settle for fourth.
Dominique Aegerter was the fastest of the Suter riders and broke up the Kalex domination of the grid positions with a fifth for the Technomag careXpert team.
Julain Simon starts from sixth on the second Italtrans, while fellow former lightweight class champion Nico Terol was seventh for Aspar. Tito Rabat was the second quickest Pons Tuenti rider in eighth,Marcel Schrotter placed an excellent ninth on the eve of his first full Moto2 championship while mike Di Meglio completed the top ten on the only Motobi bike in the class.
Moto2 Qualifying result: