2013 got under way in earnest this afternoon under brighter conditions after this mornings FP1 session was only braved by a hardy few, with Jenny Tinmouth posting the fastest time on her TWR Honda from Bathams
|Byrne took charge in FP at the Kent circuit
Photo: British Superbikes
Hondas Tommy Bridewell and the two Milwaukee Yamahas of Waters and Ellison.
FP2, whilst still cool, was more favourable to the riders and all bar Michael Rutter took to the track. Rutter, who broke his leg last month during a private test for the Honda TT Legends Endurance team in France, is still unsure whether he will compete this weekend. The fastest out of the box, and throwing down an early mark for his seasons intentions, was Rapid Solicitors Shane Byrne with the triple and reigning champion posting a best of 46.787s whilst behind him, albeit just 0.086s behind, was Samsung Hondas Alex Lowes, proving that his testing form was no flash in the pan and proving he’s a serious threat in the War for Four.
The Bathams Honda of Tommy Bridewell finished the session in a storming third place ahead of Samsung Honda pilot Ryuichi Kiyonari, the Milwaukee Yamaha of a returning James Ellison with Tyco Suzuki’s popular Aussie Josh Brookes rounding out the top six. Completing the top ten were Buildbase BMW James Westmoreland, PR Racing Kawasaki Karl Harris, Padgett’s Honda Jakub Smrz and housewives favourite, Chris Walker on his Quattro Plant Kawasaki ZX-10R all separated by just 1.1s.
The series rookies of Tyco Suzuki PJ Jacobsen, Rapid Solicitors Keith Farmer and Milwaukee Yamaha’s Josh Waters all made solid starts to their campaigns occupying 13th, 14th and 15th places just 1.395s shy of the fastest time of Byrne.
FP3 starts at 10.30 tomorrow morning with live timing available here and circuit commentary from Fred and Scoop on Radio BSB 87.7FM or online (no link available yet)
BSB FP2 Times:
1. Shane Byrne (Rapid Solicitors Kawasaki) 46.787s
2. Alex Lowes (Samsung Honda) 46.873s
3. Tommy Bridewell (Bathams Honda) 47.096s
4. Ryuichi Kiyonari (Samsung Honda) 47.311s
5. James Ellison (Milwaukee Yamaha) 47.325s
6. Josh Brookes (Tyco Suzuki) 47.361s
7. James Westmoreland (Buildbase BMW) 47.564s
8. Karl Harris (PR Racing Kawasaki) 47.571s
9. Jakub Smrz (Padgetts Honda) 47.478s
10. Chris Walker (Quattro Plant Kawasaki) 47.887s
11. Dan Linfoot (GBmoto Honda) 47.980s
12. Jon Kirkham (Buildbase BMW) 48.037s
13. PJ Jacobsen (Tyco Suzuki) 48.074s
14. Keith Farmer (Rapid Solicitors Kawasaki) 48.140s
15. Josh Waters (Milwaukee Yamaha) 48.182s
16. Peter Hickman (GBmoto Honda) 48.239s
17. Robbin Harms (Doodson Motorsport Honda) 48.330s
18. Matteo Baiocco (Rapido Sport Racing Ducati) 48.528s
19. Lee Costello (Halsall Racing Kawasaki) 48.529s
20. Jenny Tinmouth (Two Wheel Racing Honda) 48.668s
21. Aaron Zanotti (Aaron Zanotti Racing) 49.159s
22. Howie Mainwaring (MH Kawasaki) 49.194s
23. Luke Quigley (MH Kawasaki) 49.497s
24. Martin Jessopp (Motorcycle Riders BMW) 49.545s