|Espargaro takes charge at Jerez
Photo:Pons Tuenti HP 40
As the sun returned to the Spanish circuit so did the full field of Moto2 riders with Tuenti HP 40 rider Pol Espargaro leading the way aboard his Pons Kalex, setting a time of 1m 42.636, the fastest of the test so far though just shy of the Spaniards own time of 1m 42.332 from the first test at the track in February. His progress meant Espargaro elected to sit out the third session altogether.
Fastest in the final session of the day to grab second was Italtrans rider Takaaki Nakagami who didn’t break the 1m 43 mark and was 0.467 adrift of the top time. Third place was filled by his team-mate, Julian Simon, making it an all Kalex/Pons Kalex top three.
British rider Scott Redding scored an impressive fourth fastest place, the Marc VDS Kalex man also completing a race simulation run during his track time.
Nico Terol was the fastest Suter in fifth for the Aspar team, Tito Rabat finished the day sixth fastest looking solid again after his excellent Monday run and the last rider within a second of his team-mates top time.
Aspar’s Jordi Torres was seventh while Belgian rider Xavier Simeon (Desguaces La Torre Zelos), Dominique Aegerter (Technomag carXpert) were eighth and ninth respectively and Axel Pons put all three Tuenti HP 40 bikes inside the top ten.
Testing concludes on Thursday with a half day session before the teams pack up ready to start the season in Qatar.
Moto2 Combined Times (day three) :
1. Pol Espargaro Tuenti HP 40 (Pons Kalex) 1m 42.636s
2. Takaaki Nakagami Italtrans Racing Team (Kalex) 1m 43.103s
3. Julian Simon Italtrans Racing Team (Kalex) 1m 43.188s
4. Scott Redding Marc VDS Racing Team (Kalex) 1m 43.372s
5. Nicolas Terol Aspar Team Moto2 (Suter) 1m 43.438s
6. Esteve Rabat Tuenti HP 40 (Pons Kalex) 1m 43.534s
7. Jordi Torres Aspar Team Moto2 (Suter) 1m 43.641s
8. Xavier Simeon Desguaces La Torre Zelos (Kalex) 1m 43.720s
9. Dominique Aegerter Technomag carXpert (Suter) 1m 43.800s
10. Axel Pons Tuenti HP 40 (Pons Kalex) 1m 43.861s
11. Mika Kallio Marc VDS Racing Team (Kalex) 1m 43.929s
12. Anthony West QMMF Racing Team (Speed Up) 1m 44.052s
13. Randy Krummenacher Technomag carXpert (Suter) 1m 44.089s
14. Mike Di Meglio JIR Moto2 (MotoBI) 1m 44.158s
15. Toni Elias Blusens Avintia (Kalex) 1m 44.174s
16. Alex De Angelis NGM Mobile Forward Racing (Speed Up) 1m 44.182s
17. Simone Corsi NGM Mobile Racing (Speed Up) 1m 44.202s
18. Sandro Cortese Dynavolt Intact GP (Kalex) 1m 44.276s
19. Johann Zarco Came IodaRacing Project (Suter) 1m 44.332s
20. Ratthapark Wilairot Thai Honda PTT Gresini Moto2 (Suter) 1m 44.456s
21. Yuki Takahashi Idemitsu Honda Team Asia (Moriwaki) 1m 44.839s
22. Marcel Schrotter Desguaces La Torre SAG (Kalex) 1m 44.905s
23. Danny Kent Tech 3 (Tech 3) 1m 44.937s
24. Louis Rossi Tech 3 (Tech 3) 1m 45.181s
25. Mattia Pasini NGM Mobile Racing (Speed Up) 1m 45.214s