After an hour and a half wait as the rain poured down in Spain many of the teams elected not to leave the pit garages at all – just 19 Moto2 riders set a time on day two.
The second session for Moto2 was the most productive with most riders setting their fastest times then despite the tricky conditions, the third session was shared with Moto3. Scott Redding was the cream of the crop after the deluge for Marc VDS setting a lap time of 1m 55.082 on the Kalex machine, almost 12 seconds slower than Monday’s top time in the dry set by Toni Elias.
After his surprise return to form yesterday Elias proved to be competent in all conditions and was the second quickest on day two, 0.296 behind Redding aboard the Blusens Avintia, making it a top two for Kalex in the wet. Swiss rider Dominique Aegerter was third fastest for the Technomag carXpert team and the fastest Suter.
Frenchman Mike Di Meglio, the sole MotoBI rider in the field, was fourth fastest with a time which lead the first session for the JIR team. Ant West once again demonstrated his proficiency for wet weather riding placing fifth on the timesheets for the QMMF team with his Speed Up machine.
Nico Terol finished the day sixth for the Aspar team, with Mika Kallio making it a strong showing despite the rain for the Marc VDS team in seventh. Rafid Topan Sucipto was the fastest rookie of the class in eighth for QMMF with a time set in the first session. Xavier Simeon was one of just two riders to go fast in the shared track time with the Moto3 bikes in session three where he set the time that placed him ninth on the timesheets for Desguaces La Torre Zelos. Marcel Schrotter completed the top ten.
Testing continues tomorrow with a return to the sunshine seen on the opening day predicted for the last two days of the test.
Combined Moto2 Times (day two) :
1. Scott Redding Marc VDS Racing Team (Kalex) 1m 55.082s
2. Toni Elias Blusens Avintia (Kalex) 1m 55.378s
3. Dominique Aegerter Technomag carXpert (Suter) 1m 55.559s
4. Mike Di Meglio JIR Moto2 (MotoBI) 1m 55.757s
5. Anthony West QMMF Racing Team (Speed Up) 1m 55.860s
6. Nicolas Terol Aspar Team Moto2 (Suter) 1m 55.937s
7. Mika Kallio Marc VDS Racing Team (Kalex) 1m 56.081s
8. Rafid Topan Sucipto QMMF Racing Team (Speed Up) 1m 56.581s
9. Xavier Simeon Desguaces La Torre Zelos (Kalex) 1m 56.734s
10. Marcel Schrotter Desguaces La Torre SAG (Kalex) 1m 57.008s
11. Ratthapark Wilairot Thai Honda PTT Gresini Moto2 (Suter) 1m 57.208s
12. Steven Odendaal Argiñano & Ginés Racing (Speed Up) 1m 57.224s
13. Randy Krummenacher Technomag carXpert (Suter) 1m 57.243s
14. Louis Rossi Tech 3 (Tech 3) 1m 57.420s
15. Danny Kent Tech 3 (Tech 3) 1m 57.484s
16. Jordi Torres Aspar Team Moto2 (Suter) 1m 57.689s
17. Doni Tata Pradita Federal Oil Gresini Moto2 (Suter) 1m 58.634s
18. Alberto Moncayo Argiñano & Ginés Racing (Speed Up) 1m 59.518s
19. Sergio Gadea Interwetten Paddock (Suter) 2m 2.038s