|Fabrizio is proving tough to beat at Phillip Island
Photo: Red Devils Roma Aprilia
Michel Fabrizio carried on where he left off in the second qualifying session at Phillip Island this morning, taking provisional pole with a time of 1’30.387 ahead of Leon Camier, Tom Sykes and Eugene Laverty, with the top 4 all going under the old Superbike lap record of 1’30.882, set by Carlos Checa aboard his Althea Ducati back in 2011.
It was a different Aprilia who led the list for the early running, with Aprilia Racing’s Sylvain Guintoli setting the pace before falling back to 6th.
Fixi Crescent Suzuki rider Leon Camier then beat that time along with the lap record of Checa’s sending him to the top of the timesheets.
Friday pace-setter Fabrizio was not to be beaten though, as he then bettered the record even further to lead by over 0.3 seconds from Camier.
Behind Fabrizio, it was a rather tight affair, with the next 11 riders all covered by less than a second, again including all the Brits in another solid performance.
Alstare Ducati’s Ayrton Badovini is not racing this weekend, due to fracturing his foot yesterday.
Full results after the jump.
- Michel Fabrizio (Red Devils Roma) Aprilia RSV4 Factory 1’30.387
- Leon Camier (Fixi Crescent Suzuki) Suzuki GSX-R1000 1’30.727
- Tom Sykes (Kawasaki Racing Team) Kawasaki ZX-10R 1’30.740
- Eugene Laverty (Aprilia Racing Team) Aprilia RSV4 Factory 1’30.826
- Marco Melandri (BMW Motorrad GoldBet SBK) BMW S1000 RR 1’30.931
- Sylvain Guintoli (Aprilia Racing Team) Aprilia RSV4 Factory 1’30.961
- Leon Haslam (Pata Honda World Superbike) Honda CBR1000RR 1’31.020
- Carlos Checa (Team Ducati Alstare) Ducati Panigale 1199 1’31.146
- Jonathan Rea (Pata Honda World Superbike) Honda CBR1000RR 1’31.353
- Davide Giugliano (Althea Racing) Aprilia RSV4 Factory 1’31.470
- Chaz Davies (BMW Motorrad GoldBet SBK) BMW S1000 RR 1’31.526
- Loris Baz (Kawasaki Racing Team) Kawasaki ZX-10R 1’31.537
- Max Neukirchner (MR-Racing) Ducati Panigale 1199 1’31.871
- Jamie Stauffer (Team Honda Racing) Honda CBR1000RR 1’31.874
- Ivan Clementi (HTM Racing) BMW S1000 RR 1’31.963
- Glenn Allerton (Next Gen Motorsports) BMW S1000 RR 1’32.352
- Jules Cluzel (Fixi Crescent Suzuki) Suzuki GSX-R1000 1’32.402
- Alexander Lundh (Team Pedercini) Kawasaki ZX-10R 1’32.487
- Ayrton Badovini* (Team Ducati Alstare) Ducati Panigale 1199 1’32.540
- Federico Sandi (Team Pedercini) Kawasaki ZX-10R 1’32.898
- Vittorio Iannuzzo (Grillini Dentalmatic SBK) BMW S1000 RR 1’33.082