Pol Espargaro once again made his intentions for the forthcoming season clear as he posted the fastest time of the second day at Jerez for the Tuenti HP 40 team. The Spaniards Pons Kalex put in a lap of 1m 42.332, almost 0.3 seconds ahead of nearest rival Takaaki Nakagami, also aboard a Kalex for the Italtrans team and also faster than the previous best time of 1m 42.702 set by Stefan Bradl back in 2011.
The third and fourth fastest combined times on day two both also went to Kalex machines as Brit Scott Redding dipped under the 1m 43 barrier for Marc VDS to finish ahead of the consistent Julian Simon, who was the second Italtrans bike inside the top five.
Fastest Suter was yesterdays pace-setter in the wet, Nico Terol who looked comfortable aboard the Mapfre Aspar to place fifth.
The Kalex dominance continued as Espargaro’s team-mate Tito Rabat claimed sixth fastest just holding off the time set by Marc VDS rider Mika Kallio in seventh.
Aspar rider Jordi Torres was eighth quickest ahead of Came IodaRacing project man Johann Zarco, who was not quite able to replicate his wet weather success of yesterday. Dominique Aegerter put in his first performance of note this season to finish in the top ten for Technomag.
Mike Di Meglio also stood out. As the sole MotoBI rider this season, doing all the development himself helped him to eleventh fastest.
Sandro Cortese made significant improvements to be the fastest Moto2 rookie on day two as finished 18th in the standings for the Dynavolt Intact GP team.
British riders Danny Kent (Tech3) and Kyle Smith (Blusens Avintia) were again closely matched as they get used to the class and were 25th and 26threspectively.
Terol and Rabat along with Ratthapark Wilairot (Honda Gresini) and Alberto Moncayo (Arguinano & Gines) all crashed out during the day.
Combined Moto2 times (day two):
1. Pol Espargaro Tuenti HP 40 (Pons Kalex) 1m 42.332s
2. Takaaki Nakagami Italtrans Racing Team (Kalex) 1m 42.631s
3. Scott Redding Marc VDS Racing Team (Kalex) 1m 42.849s
4. Julian Simon Italtrans Racing Team (Kalex) 1m 43.062s
5. Nicolas Terol Mapfre Aspar Team Moto2 (Suter) 1m 43.232s
6. Esteve Rabat Tuenti HP 40 (Pons Kalex) 1m 43.407s
7. Mika Kallio Marc VDS Racing Team (Kalex) 1m 43.509s
8. Jordi Torres Mapfre Aspar Team Moto2 (Suter) 1m 43.549s
9. Johann Zarco Came IodaRacing Project (Suter) 1m 43.671s
10. Dominique Aegerter Technomag carXpert (Suter) 1m 43.757s
11. Mike Di Meglio JIR Moto2 (MotoBI) 1m 43.783s
12. Simone Corsi NGM Mobile Racing (Speed Up) 1m 43.820s
13. Axel Pons Tuenti HP 40 (Pons Kalex) 1m 43.882s
14. Alex De Angelis NGM Mobile Forward Racing (Speed Up) 1m 44.078s
15. Xavier Simeon Maptaq SAG Zelos Team (Kalex) 1m 44.185s
16. Mattia Pasini NGM Mobile Racing (Speed Up) 1m 44.329s
17. Toni Elias Blusens Avintia (Kalex) 1m 44.348s
18. Sandro Cortese Dynavolt Intact GP (Kalex) 1m 44.404s
19. Ratthapark Wilairot Honda Gresini Moto2 (Suter) 1m 44.629s
20. Randy Krummenacher Technomag carXpert (Suter) 1m 44.695s
21. Anthony West QMMF Racing Team (Speed Up) 1m 45.005s
22. Ricky Cardus NGM Mobile Forward Racing (Speed Up) 1m 45.139s
23. Steven Odendaal Argiñano & Gines Racing (Speed Up) 1m 45.267s
24. Yuki Takahashi Idemitsu Honda Team Asia (Moriwaki) 1m 45.546s
25. Danny Kent Tech 3 (Tech 3) 1m 45.557s
26. Kyle Smith Blusens Avintia (Kalex) 1m 45.605s
27. Louis Rossi Tech 3 (Tech 3) 1m 45.614s
28. Rafid Topan Sucipto QMMF Racing Team (Speed Up) 1m 46.380s
29. Marcel Schrotter Desguaces La Torre SAG Team (Kalex) 1m 46.625s
30. Doni Tata Pradita Federal Oil Gresini Moto2 (Suter) 1m 46.672s
31. Alberto Moncayo Argiñano & Gines Racing (Speed Up) 1m 47.286s